I spotted this pack of little styrofoam balls in the dollar section at Target last week and knew immediately that I wanted to try to make a cute mason jar luminary... The problem with that is that I don't have a crafty bone in my body :( Luckily, I found these super cute AND EASY mason jar crafts on Pinterest and figured I should be able to make something resembling the picture.
So after figuring out what I wanted to make I hauled my butt to A.C. Moore to find the things that I needed. The original pinner said that she used snowflake brads, and as a non-crafter I had no idea what those were, but I did find these adorbs snowflake embellishments with a little loop on the back that I thought would work perfectly with the twine.
Unfortunately I didn't take any pics when I was putting this luminary together but it should be pretty simple without them.
Here's what you'll need:
* Mason Jar (or other jars/bottles that you want to use)
* Jingle Bells (I found various sizes at A.C. Moore and went with a larger size because I had a larger jar)
* Snowflake Embellishments (or brads, buttons, etc...) Or you could even skip the snowflakes if you wanted to.
* Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
* Filler for the Jar (I used styrofoam balls but the original pinner used epsom salt)
1. First I glued the end of the twine to a spot on the rim of the jar and then I just wrapped it around until I covered the top of the jar. Then I glued the other end to secure it.
2. Next I took another piece of twine and threaded the jingle bells strategically through it. I was having trouble getting the jingle bells on the twine at first so I added some hot glue to the end and twisted it around to make it like a needle point so it was easier to thread it through. Then I wrapped it around the jar and glued both ends on top of the other twine.
3. I did the same thing with the snowflake embellishments and placed them so they'd be between the jingle bells and then I glued that strand a little higher than the jingle bells.
4. Lastly I added the styrofoam balls and candle. I used a flameless votive as I didn't want to have to worry about the balls catching on fire but you can use whatever kind of candle you want.
See? That was pretty simple right?! So if you're like me and love all these cute DIY projects you see on Pinterest but don't have the craftiness to make the trickier stuff these are super easy. I also had a bunch of the styrofoam balls left over so I'm going to attempt a couple other Winter luminaries... Wish me luck!